Build the institutional capacity of the Solid Waste Management Authority to fulfill its mandate and; build the capacity of Local Government bodies that are beneficiaries of the Western Corridor Solid Waste Management Project
Technical Assistance in Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Management
- Relocation/upgrading operations at open dumpsites to controlled disposal;
- Implementation of the infrastructure components of Solid Waste Management Project
- Optimization of collection operations;
- Promotion of recycling in schools in businesses;
Public Awareness, Education and Participation
- To educate the public and increase awareness of issues pertaining to inadequate management of solid waste;
- Encourage public participation in solid waste planning and decision making processes and facilitate a feedback mechanism for the public to communicate effectively with service providers and/or local government bodies regarding solid waste issues;
- As improvements are made to solid waste management service delivery, efforts will be made to foster cooperation and encourage commerce and industry to embrace the principles of Cleaner Production to minimize the generation of wastes.
Some of the Specific Goals/Strategies of BSWaMA
- Implement mechanisms to improve and expand the recovery of materials from the municipal solid waste stream,
- Improve disposal practices of municipal solid wastes to land, by establishing standards/regulations and guidelines aimed at sitting and operations of solid waste facilities; monitoring of leachate and landfill gas
- Develop a sustained public education and awareness program geared to facilitate public participation, inform and educate the public on the roles and responsibilities of waste generators, system components and function, source reduction and separation of wastes, benefits and costs of adequate solid waste management services;
Belize Solid Waste Management Project
The Belize Solid Waste Management Authority (BSWaMA) along with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Agriculture are the Executing Agencies for the Solid Waste Management Project (SWMP). The objectives of the SWMP are to:
- Improve solid waste management practices in four municipalities of the Western Corridor (San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Belize City and San Ignacio/Santa Elena) that will support the goals of environmental protection, natural resource conservation, and protection of public health and safety.
- Contribute to enhancing the image of Belize in the eco-tourism market and
- Strengthen the Solid Waste Management Authority of Belize as the entity responsible for improving solid waste management in the country.
The SWMP has four components:
- Component 1 of the project addresses the closure of the Belize City open dumpsite at Mile 3, Western Highway and the construction of a transfer station to facilitate waste separation, recycling and provisions for the long haul of wastes for final disposal at the Mile 24 George Price Highway, Regional Sanitary Landfill.
- Component 2 of the project consists of the construction of a Regional Sanitary Landfill and ancillary facilities at Mile 24 on the George Price Highway.
- Component 3 of the project addresses the closure of the open dumpsites serving San Ignacio/Santa Elena, Caye Caulker and San Pedro Ambergris Caye. New waste transfer and material drop off facilities will be constructed to serve these municipalities.
- Component 4 of the project addresses the institutional strengthening of the Solid Waste Management Authority throughout the project execution phase.